Meat Production Classes
Celebrated chef and author Brian Polcyn brings his skills to Las Vegas. This 2 day Charcuterie and whole-hog butchery course is an educational live demonstration of all things Charcuterie. Nearly every facet of the craft is covered, including proper sausage, smoking, curing, and brining techniques, the power of salt in the kitchen, use of nitrites/nitrates, European seam butchery vs. USDA butchery, and much more.
Saturday, June 1st, 2024 – Sunday, June 2nd, 2024
- How to butcher a hog using nothing but a knife and European seam-butchery techniques with an emphasis on heritage breeds
- Proper curing techniques
- How to utilize Charcuterie cuts to keep food costs low
- Proper smoking techniques
- How to get Charcuterie cuts from USDA cuts
- Proper use of nitrites and nitrates
- How to work with trim/offal
The Science of Salami
This meat production class aims to provide solid theoretical and practical foundations to help the chef, butcher, and home enthusiast. Two full days of training will conclude with the successful production of 200 pounds of salami, hung and ready for transformation.
The Secrets of BBQ by Dr. Dana Hanson
Meat science professor Dr. Dana Hanson from North Carolina State University bring years of experience and know how to Las Vegas. This BBQ course aims to provide some science on solid theoretical and practical foundations to help the pit master, chef, butcher, and home BBQ enthusiast. Two full days of training in this meat production class will conclude with the successful production of brisket, ribs, smoked sausage, rubs and sauces. Roll up. your sleeves on this one, Oh. and there will be much to sample.
Friday, June 14th, 2024 – Saturday, June 15th, 2024
- Quick look at BBQ styles from across the country
- Meat Selection
- Sectioning of a half carcass
- Spices, Salts and Herbs
- Pro Tips for the Backyard Smoker
- Full Explanation/Creation of cook schedule
The Lost Art of Drying
This course will provide solid theoretical and practical foundations for the chef, butcher, and home enthusiast. One full day of training will conclude with a successful examination of dry aged meat.